Saturday, November 24, 2007

Ancient Sea Scorpion Was Bigger than Man


Scientists have uncovered the fossilized claw of a 390 million year old sea scorpion in a German quarry. They estimate that the cannibalistic creature, which has been named Jaekelopterus rhenaniae, was nearly 8 ft (2.5 m) long, making it at least 1.5 ft (46 cm) longer than any previously known eurypterid, or prehistoric sea scorpion. While fossil record has long shown that ancient arthropods were much bigger than they are now, this discovery suggests that prehistoric spiders, insects, and crabs were significantly larger than previously thought.

1 comment:

Fourdogmom said...

I'm glad I live now and not back then when the creepy crawlies were bigger. I nearly die when I encounter one of those large roaches in my house. A giant scorpion would be the end of me. I would die of fright!